Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Cold Lampin

This used to be the most perfect pendant lamp (until it became both expensive and unavailable [which I guess is like complaining about the small portions of bad food -- what do I care if it's expensive if I can't get it anyway?]), and I superwanted it for above our table:


It's the Caravaggio P4 by Cecilie Manz, and it's huge -- 700 mm (27.5 inches) tall and 550 mm (21.6 inches) across. When I ordered it, it was only $395 -- not Ikea but way less than anything else. But the UL approval process that's apparently required for sales in the US is stalled, and the prices seem to keep going up -- I think it's set to be like $700-$950 or so once it's finally sold here. Now that I've seen this lamp, though, all the salvaged/industrial solutions seem so, I don't know, coarse and dirty or something, and all our homemade ideas seem so messy and amateurish, and every other new lamp seems so slick and soulless. Who do you have to blow to get some light above your dinner around here?

No comments: