Tuesday, August 14, 2007

To do [or at least think about]:

- Bag for camera: For the camera bag I think I'll use an Etsuko Fuyura fabric, maybe turquoise honeycomb, but I'm also interested in working with burlap and felt, so I might make a burlap bag lined with moss-colored felt. A zipper would look silly on burlap and a grommet wouldn't work well, so I'll probably fashion some kind of button closure if I do that (I think a drawstring would look too rustic, but maybe it would be just right).

- Computer sleeve: I'm not sure what I'll do for the computer sleeve. I made a leather one with a fleece inner lining for a friend recently (photos to come; why do I never take pictures of things that I make before I give them away?) that I was pretty happy with, but I might end up using burlap and felt for this instead.

- New backpack or bag: I almost never take the train to work anymore, but today promises to be a bit stormy, so I left my bike at home. One of the pleasures of taking the train (besides about 40 extra minutes of reading each day) was always walking past the shop windows on Damen (though they don't change them nearly often enough). Now I go past them so rarely the displays are always new to me, which is somehow satisfying. Today there was a sort of good bag (when will I learn to bring my camera with me?) in the window of a shop that I think is totally off in every way(shoddy, goofy). I had seen something like it before (where?) but it didn't occur to me then that I could sew something similar. It was a leather bag with sort of inverted pleats of fabric, with a grommeted drawstring closure. It could maybe be a backpack (esp. since I almost never carry a shoulder bag), but I'm not sure -- and also, been using way too much leather (even though it's only remnants -- I swear to god!).

But at least I'm crossing things off of my old to do list:
- I finished the wine bag (photos below)
- I'm nearly done making the alphabet apron
- I'm nearly done painting the bed dark gray
- I've bought a new computer and am nearly done transferring photos from the old one (I'm sure I'm making the process a blillion times harder than it has to be.)

No comments: