Tuesday, August 7, 2007

disappearing

yesterday I went to work without my security card, and Dora, a secretary, was sitting at the front desk in lieu of Dawn, the receptionist. I knocked on the glass door so she would let me in, and she indicated that I should pick up the phone outside the door and call her desk. Um, OK. I called her and asked to be buzzed in, and she asked me who I was there to see. I said that I worked there and she buzzed me in.

today I was riding my bike to a doctor's appointment for my retractable-leash wounds, and I passed someone I know (barely, but I saw him two days ago). I said, "Hey, Harvey." He said hello but clearly had no idea who I was.

then, in the hallway outside the doctor's office, which was in one of the Northwestern Hospital buildings on LSD, I ran into someone I knew from law school. I said hello and asked him what he was up to. He said that he was working at "a law firm downtown." Dude, I could tell that by your shirt. I asked him which one. He said Kirkland, in a tone suggesting that I might not be familiar with it. He then asked me if I had ridden to work, as though he thought I worked at the hospital.

No comments: