Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Oh! La vache (et les bison)

This tent reminds me of the first time I ever camped (other than in my parents' backyard):



We camped at the "primitive" site in the Badlands -- amazing. South Dakota is far from my favorite state (awfully regressive hate-based politics), but the southwestern corner is one my favorite regions in the U.S. (and not solely because I love those fuckin Deadwood cocksuckers; the Badlands, the Crazy Horse memorial, and Mt. Rushmore are totally underrated. No, that's not right: I mean, they're very well-rated, but I was surprised by how stunned I was by each -- expectations were low because accolades were so high [and often so goofy] and yet, I felt genuinely amazed, touched, awed, humbled by each). In any case, when we were at the Badlands there was a crazy windstorm that looked like it might become a cah-raaaazy thunderstorm, and we were kind of scared of staying there, in the open plain. (Luckily we had Ambien ["Campien" by the end of the trip] so the fact that our tent was nearly torn off of us by the wind wasn't as disturbing as it otherwise might have been.)

When we woke in the morning all was calm and cool and still, but there was this weird springing squeaky noise, almost like someone was jumping on the bumper of an old car. We looked out of the tent and a huge male bison was just a few feet away, hurtling himself at a horse-hitching post, trying to scratch an itch. Throughout the open, barren campsite were several more solitary male bison(s?) (exactly the sort all of the signs all over the Badlands urged you to steer [get it?] way, way clear of). They were sniffing around, rolling around, hanging around. No one was trampled or gored and the entire scene was completely magical. If I got this cow tent I could have a similar experience but with out so much nature and crap (though actually I really do love all that nature and crap).

(As a needless aside: Although I may lust in my heart, I would never be unfaithful to my Orla Kiely dome tent, which I love love love and can't wait to use on a little weekend camping trip/Farnsworth House visiting trip soon.)

(Photos via matejewski.com via, indirectly, the Times)

1 comment:

Debbie said...

If you get back to this I will follow. Campien. Hahahahahahahaha