Thursday, September 6, 2007

Not for Sale

For some reason I just remembered this amazing dress Cat Chow made several years ago, constructed of 1000 $1 bills donated to her by 1000 people (including me):


It's displayed with a list of the names of the 1000 donors and is called Not for Sale. Her work requires such painstaking, highly skilled craftship and she creates these amazing well-formed pieces of clothing that manage to gracefully convey a "message" (something art usually does so clumsily and which I normally think is stupid and pointless). For instance, she's made wedding dresses called "Bonded" out of a single piece of 100-foot long coiled zipper:


This dress is made from measuring tape:


And here is a picture of Cat (real name Catherine) wearing it:


She has just scads of other amazing things, like chainmail made of not just shredded dollars, but also of photographic slides and of snaps joined together by little metal rings. And look at the form of these dresses:


I always just make things to solve a problem -- way way way more craft than art. It just blows my mind the way people use traditional crafting techniques and ideas to make real art. I mean, yes, of course, I know that craft-making is seen as less than art-making because the former was typically done by women and considered the latter only when done by men and that maybe it's inherently anti-woman to draw the distinction. But look at those fucking dresses!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Fantastic photos. I want the zipper dress. I have a curiously large number of clothing items that feature zippers and I wear them all in layers--I like the play of up/down, on/off, I think Barthes has written an essay on the aesthetics of zippers, all about S/Z, oooh, I have to look it up; I'll loop back to you when/if I get it. Hail Fall and fireside crafting projects, eh? I can't remember *do* you have fireplace? At least not one of those lame citified "decorative" fireplaces though. Yikes. Thinking of you and sending x's and o's. Heather

the Meggezone said...

Hey, Heather: We're trying out a new division-of-labor system this afternoon, under which the blogger (die Bloggerin) posts new entries while the person who has no blog (der Blognichthaber) fields questions raised in comments. No, we don't have a fireplace, sham or otherwise. There's a vaguely mantel-like structure near the dining room table, but under it is only a cupboard where die Bloggerin keeps her shoes. Even so, everyone in the household is pretty excited about the advent of fall, which in Chicago (as you know) is brief but very pleasant; any chance you might come out and see it/us?

Heather said...

Liebe Soon-to-be-nicht Blognichthaber--yes yes hoping to make plans to come and see mantel and Bean and you and die Fraulein Bloggerin in Fall. Will apprise of tentative dates. This tag team blog and response thing is v. cute. I think "guest" blog entries are in the future as well. hmmmmm. Oh and if you get a chance, I have to say "Stars of Track and Field" is like one of my fave bands of the moment now--I'm all chauvinistic about pdx music scene--was in NYC over labor day weekend and writing down pdx band names for barista working on Clinton Street on lower east side--like I was making a major contribution to his quality of life. Sheesh. Sending all best and virtual scooby snacks for Bean. xoox, heather