Monday, September 17, 2007

Valderi

I made this backpack specifically for use while riding my bike. It's based (like practically every bag I make) on a Lotta Jansdotter Simple Sewing pattern. The outer fabrics come from vintage kimonos and the lining is heavy white denim. It has lots of little details that are I think are crazily clever, but it's also missing some things I should have included originally, but I somehow never seem to care enough to add them.



Clever:
- Braided self-loops inside the main compartment and one of the small pockets to which I hook my keys and other hookable things
- The large rear pockets are the perfect size to hold all the things I need easily accessible (my work security card, my bike lights, etc.)
- The smallest pockets are the perfect size to hold my cell phone (but I never use them for that because I'm not fully confident it won't fall out and I never use my phone anyway)
- The long center pocket on the bottom holds pens fairly well
- Between the kimono fabric and the denim is a plastic layer I took from a poncho so it's largely waterproof.
- The braided straps are asymmetrical, which serves no purpose, but I like the look.

Not clever:
- Although that one outer pocket holds pens OK, I really should make a panel attached to the top that would have lots of pen compartments and maybe compartments for my phone and my wallet.
- It should really have a waterproof panel that somehow snaps or velcros the hole at the top shut when it rains so that the bag is entirely waterproof.

No comments: