Wednesday, November 14, 2007

But what about that time he challenged Billie Jean King to a boxing match?

The day before he died, I was actually thinking of writing Norman Mailer a letter. I'm slogging through the very long middle of the Executioner's Song and, two nights before he died, had a dream about him. I think maybe the dream went something the way a real-life meeting with him might. I was showing him around what I guess was literally my dream house. He remarked brusquely and boastfully, sort of hiking up his little pants, that all the beds in the house were too short. I said that my boyfriend was 6'3" and was OK with them. Then we sat around talking about Norman Mailer. He said he was still in touch with Gary Gilmore and I was genuinely impressed, not finding it problematic that Gilmore was executed decades ago. At some point he started to sidle up to me and I knew he was about to make his move. I was kind of grossed out but thought, well, it's Norman Mailer and that's kind of funny. Then J came home and we all sat around talking about how weird it was that he was Norman Mailer.

In any case, we were thinking I should write him a letter to let him know that the ladies were still dreaming of him.

No comments: